I like to start the year off with cartoon self-portraits. It is a way for kids to put bright big personalized art work on the walls and give themselves some classroom identity, while also having fun with exaggeration. In this activity children also an exaggerated summer vacation story to go with their cartoons.
What You Need: paper grocery bags or other large recycled paper, tempera paint, brushes, cups of water, small handheld mirrors
- Children look at themselves in the mirrors and choose what features they want to exaggerate in their self-portraits to create cartoon faces.
- Draw the outlines of the face and features with pencil on the opened grocery bags.
- Go over the pencil lines with black paint. Allow to dry.
- Fill in the face features with other colors.
- Place finished faces around the room or on a bulletin board.
Write About It! Continue reading