Kids love to get into the New Year’s Action or any party with the opportunity for games and fun. These poppers are easy to make and fun for kids to get some party action. Filling the prize with notes, riddles, jokes, fortunes, and quotes adds playful writing into the fun.
What You Need: Recycled cardboard tubes (paper towels, toilet paper, or wrapping paper tubes work great!) cut into 4-6 inch lengths, tape, scraps of wrapping or tissue paper, scissors, strips of colorful paper or cardboard for surprise writing
Play and Write! Show children samples of party poppers or make one ahead of time as a model so they have the idea of how they work.
1. Children write favorite riddles, jokes, make-up fortunes, sayings, pictures, and look up quotes to write on the colored strips of paper. Fold the strips accordion style.
2. Cut the cardboard tubes in half.
3. Cut wrapping paper 3 inches longer than the tubes. Decorate the paper with drawings and writing.
4. Wrap the popper, taping the paper in place (do not put tape over the center cut). Tie one end with ribbon.
5. Mix up the playful messages and scoop into each popper. (Other treats and tiny treasures can also be added.)
6. Tie the remaining end with ribbon.
Let the party begin! A basket of poppers is great fun at a party. Holding each end of the popper firmly and pull or bend to pop open the surprise. Children will be most pleased as their special messages are read and shared.